Child Relocation – Permanent Jurisdictional Moves

Lakeland Child Relocation Attorney – Lawyer, providing professional Child Relocation and Family Law legal services in Lakeland, Winter Haven, Bartow, and Polk County Florida.

In 2006, the Florida Legislature elected to address and rewrite the procedures regarding relocating a child when the primary custodial parent chooses to move outside of the jurisdiction of their current standing court orders.

The standard for determining if you may relocate a child in a move is if the relocation is fifty miles or greater from the current from the current address where the child primarily resides.

The current legislation sets forth the following in an attempt to relocate a child if you intend to move farther than 50 miles:

  • The moving primary custodial parent must obtain permission from the non-custodial parent and/or the family court which currently has jurisdiction;
  • The moving parent must file a legal Notice of Intent to Relocate which includes new address, phone number, the reason for the proposed relocation, and a proposal for accommodating the other parent’s access, visitation, or time-sharing rights.

As a law firm providing professional child relocation attorney & lawyer legal services, assisting Lakeland, Winter Haven, Bartow, and Polk County Florida residents with child relocation legal issues, we utilize our experience to protect the legal rights of each of our clients in an effort to achieve your child relocation and family law goals.

If you have questions, concerns, or legal needs regarding the relocation of a child due to a geographic change of address or other family law issues, we urge you to seek the legal advice of an experienced Lakeland child relocation attorney & lawyer. Contact the Law Office of Robert B. Peddy, P.A., at (863) 646-1421 to schedule a confidential legal consultation.

Upon receiving the relocation notice in writing, the non-custodial parent has 30 days to file an objection notice regarding the move or any other part of the relocation notice. Both parents are also given this same 30 day period to negotiate and reach an amicable agreement as to the terms of a new custody and visitation arrangement, as well as if and how financial responsibilities will be divided for travel expenses for both parents to spend fair and reasonable time with their child (or children).

If permission or an amicable agreement between the parents cannot be reached during this period, a hearing will be scheduled. In a child relocation hearing, the court will hear the respective arguments and render a decision based on what is in the best interest of the child.

Keeping this in mind, it is not uncommon for custody issues to arise as a result of a child relocation request. If the court believes such a move may not be in the best interest of the child, the potential for primary custody to be reversed, while rare, is not unheard of.

In child relocation and family law cases, let your voice be heard. Contact the Law Office of Robert B. Peddy, P.A., by calling (863) 646-1421.

The Law Office of Robert B. Peddy, P.A., aggressively defends the legal rights of those involved in child relocation or other family law issues or disputes in Lakeland, Winter Haven, Bartow, and the entire Polk County Florida area.